My Progress So Far!

My Progress So Far!

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Anti-Depressants...

I know this is somewhat of a personal ?, but I was just wondering if anyone is on anti-depressants... My new PCP agreed to prescribe a low dose of Lexapro for the short term. Nothing came back wrong with my bloodwork, except for a slightly low Vitamin D, which has been a recurring issue in the past. No anemia, no B-12 deficiency, thyroid level is fine (I am hypothyroid). BP is perfect, EKG is normal.

I think I mentioned last week that I've been having some dizziness, lightheadedness, and stomach pain. Well, miraculously, since I saw the doc for the initial consult, I haven't had any episodes. I should add that I have been taking my vitamins religiously for about a week now.

I decided to ask her if she would prescribe a mild AD after my mom's primary prescribed one for her. A little light bulb went off in my head like "Aha! Maybe you ARE depressed - you do have good reason, dummy!" I mentioned, and after some careful question, she agreed to prescribe it, as long as we touch base on it regularly, and it's short term. If it evolves into something longer term, then I have to see a psych to continue getting the scrip. I think this is fair, as it's not something I want to be on long term.

I'm hoping this helps with the fatigue I've been experiencing lately. My mom started hers (same med, same dose) about 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed a big difference.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences they're willing to share with me? If you don't want to post it in the comments, please feel free to email me at talesfromtheband@gmail.com.

4 comments:

  1. A friend of mine was very depressed and was borderline mean because he was so unhappy. He was prescribed Wellbutrin XL and became a completely different, much better version of himself. He said he literally felt the fog lift and felt content and happy for the first time in a while. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few years ago I was on Wellbutrin and Celexa. It really helped. I was at a point in my life where all I'd do is come home from work and cry. Weekends I stayed on my couch and cried. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it, if you need it take it and it will help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz, one thing you might want to be careful about is your hydration levels. I know that my sister and I both get dizzy and lightheaded when we don't get enough water. (we are both banded) It used to happen quite often during my first year. Not so much anymore. But I do remember being very surprised that it was simply a symptom of mild dehydration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was on ADs after having my daughter because I was a wreck and that's how they like to quickly "resolve" a postpartum issue. However, after working with a doctor who listened better to me (and paying out of pocket to see him since he wasn't on my insurance providers), I figured out that I have anxiety issues rather than depression. Because I'd get so worked up about things I couldn't control, it would spiral and I'd feel bummed out. But he said it wasn't true depression and I was on Xanax for a few years, which completely evened me out. I slowly weaned myself off of it after I found out that my doc was going to retire and I really didn't want to deal with starting all over again with a new one. I have techniques to recognize the breakouts and go through the calming motions until they pass. I haven't had an attack in quite a long time now.

    ReplyDelete