My Progress So Far!

My Progress So Far!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Tomorrow, Tomorrow...I love ya, Tomorrow!

I can't believe my surgery is finally tomorrow!!! I also can't believe I made it though the pre-op diet without one of the cats being eaten :)

I'm super excited and impatient, but strangely enough not nervous at all. Unfortunately, my hospital is pretty close to the UN, and for those of you not in NY, traffic is a disaster all over the city this week, as the UN is in session. I am used to dealing with this, as I only work a block from the UN, but it could be a pain in the ass tomorrow morning when my mom and I are trying to drive to the hospital. Hoping they schedule me for an early surgery so we can try to beat the traffic (and then I get to go home and get into my own bed that much earlier!)

So, weird question re: full liquids vs mushies. My surgeon has us do 10 days full liquids, and then 10 days mushies. Their definition of "liquid" is, if it can be consumed thru a straw, it's a liquid. This isn't a problem with soups, etc...but wouldn't this count Jell-o out? Does this mean no yogurt for 10 days? No string cheese? Sigh.

I am going to hit up Cosi and buy some of their yummy nummy tomato soup to have for the weekend, when I will hopefully be up to eating again...and then hit GNC up for some Isopure. Any specific recommendations in that area? I've never bought any sort of protein before...we have a couple of kinds of whey at my house for my dad, but he doesn't exactly endorse them!

Also a quick shout out to Lynne (http://girlbanded.blogspot.com), who is having her surgery today! See you on the other side, lady!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you!!!! I hope the traffic isn't too bad :/Stay as relaxed as possible! I hope tomorrow will go smoothly for you!

    Sending you good vibes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The traffic is a NIGHTMARE. I had my post-op yesterday and it took us forever to get there and then home again. Basically, give yourself lots of extra time. It took us over 90 minutes to get there from Brooklyn and almost that long to get back out again to Astoria.

    I asked one of Dr. Ren's doctors who I met before surgery and after (Dr. Grofstein maybe. totally cute) about the jello. He said the red jello scares patients because if god forbid they vomit, they think it is blood. He also said I could have it during liquids if I held it in my mouth until it became a liquid. eww.

    I didn't want to eat/drink anything after surgery. It is hard to imagine because you are sooo hungry right now, but you know how hungry I was and I don't even think about food now. the first few days all I was really drinking was water and Isopure (Alpine Punch and Grape Frost are good). I had maybe 1/2 cup of soup a night just to make my mom happy.

    You are going to be so great. I am so excited for you. I met Gaspar yesterday--of Gaspar's Band Rules that came in the NYU packet. He was really nice and did my post-op.

    I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. Let us know when you find out your time. I'll figure out how to private message my email if you need to vent at any point during your recovery.

    ReplyDelete